Saturday 23 February 2013

Friday project: My home office makeover

As a writer, I spend most of my time behind the computer, in my little home office. Working from home certainly has it's benefits, but sometimes these four walls can make me a little crazy. Do you get that? This week was particularly cold here in Delft and I was starting to get a little stir crazy indoors. I had a couple of hours to spare yesterday, so I decided to give my little office space the Holly touch and add some colour and personality to the space. The perfect little project to wrap up the week! 

My 20-month-old little girl, Lola, has recently discovered watercolors and I've been meaning to start displaying her artwork. So that was the starting point. I also buy quite a lot of art through Etsy as I love to have original artwork and support creative talent, and have a couple of pieces I haven't had a chance yet to frame, so I threw those into the mix. I also had a bunch of other cute knick-knacks lying around that I love, like an origami bird hanger that a friend made and gave to me, some left-over floral fabric and lace from making Lola's first birthday party dress, a hand print lola made at creche when she was one, an antique map of Delft, a pretty card I bought in London a few years ago and a pretty paper table decoration I picked up at Holly Becker's home studio workshop in Hannover last year, and a pretty button I found while shopping with Yvonne of Yvestown in Eindhoven recently. Also included here is a picture of my mum at about age 3, my most prized possession. Lola looks exactly like her, so it's quite special to have displayed. Throw in some washi tape and I got to work. The result it a fun collection of treasures which I now get to enjoy from my work chair.   




So that's that! I'll of course add to the collage as time goes on and Lola's artwork changes and I acquire other bits and pieces. But for now this has already brightened up my weekend!

Hope you are enjoying your weekend :) See you again soon!

Holly


15 comments:

  1. Oh this is such a great place. My home office is such a mess. I really need to get it in shape for your visit! The clock is ticking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW WOW WOW! Please come hekp me decorate MY home! You have an amazing eye Holly! Just amazing! I want to see more! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Corinne! Not to worry, we'll give the office the Holly and Corinne touch and have it shining for the photos. Can't wait to see you own beautiful home! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, thanks Sam! Would adore the chance to help you style your home. Maybe next time we visit SA I'll come do a styled shoot for you. Though, I'm quite sure you already have the place looking gorge xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful Holly. My study is in a mess and I'm in the process of sorting it out too. Your styling is incredible. Can you come and wave your magic wand in my home? Hope you are having a lovely week and so looking forward to seeing you soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Geraldine! I'd love to peek behind the scenes of Little Big Bell (wand or not!) and see where all the magic happens. So looking forward to catching up in London next month! Holly x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hollyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I love it, so gorgeous! I am just finishing off my new office so will post pics on west egg when I get a minute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous and inspirational office space! Lots of personal touches too - really love the bell jar! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are most welcome to come and see my home personally if you like when you are in London, how long are you staying for?. So sorry, I've been slow off the mark with the pictures. I'm such a perfectionist that I can't seem to take the picture until I've organised things - my rate limiting step being having the time to do so. Anyway, I'm trying to get my act together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Louisa Thank you!! Will keep an eye out for the new office space!

    @ Kerry, looks from your profile pic like you are based in NL? I could point you in the direction of one of those bell jars. I got mine in Delft.

    @ Geraldine, this trip to London is jam packed but I have been meaning to ask whether you are attending the event at Selvedge on the 23rd? I was ummming and ahhhing about whether or not to go, and was looking for a work related reason to do so. Perhaps I could combine it with a tour of your home, and we could style it and get some pics together? We can talk more about it at dinner next Friday night. So looking forward to seeing you :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those lovely decorations you added in your office spruced up the space even more. Good choice on picking pastel colors! It’s much better to work in a space with light colors around you, because light colors can change your mood when you feel any pressure while working. Light colors can also inspire you to work even better. +Clayton Steadham

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a pretty nice revamp for your home office. Your ideas are very helpful for those who are taking their paperworks at home or for those who are doing a home-based job. They can get some inspiring design ideas from this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your room can really inspire anyone to work because of its natural and homely aura. Your collections paid off too because they all look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your daughter's watercolour works are adorable, and it is great that you have it displayed. You have a lot of interesting ideas for your office too. The leftover fabric pieces in the jar is quite charming. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your lovely comments and feedback! Please feel free to stop by my new blog avenuelifestyle.com for more! Holly

    ReplyDelete